Welcome friends and family

Have a look around to find out what I am up to here in New Zealand!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why I believe that it is important to study creation science

I believe that the account of creation is the foundation of the rest of the biblical truths. If the first Adam did not smear God’s glory by choosing not to believe his Creator, then there is no need for the second Adam, who is Christ, to be the perfect sacrifice and atonement for the original sin. Also, if each of the creation days were in fact millions of years where evolution would take place, this would allow for death and suffering before the fall, and God could not have declared His creation to be very good. I therefore believe that the first 11 chapters of Genesis should be interpreted literally, that God created the earth and everything in the earth in six literal days, that Noah’s flood was a global flood, that the vast majority of the fossil record we have today comes from this flood, and that the earth is six to ten thousand years old as can be calculated by the historic account of scripture.

I believe that it is vital to address the creation/evolution debate from the standpoint that debates will never convert anyone. It must be the Holy Spirit revealing the biblical truths to the individual. Mathew writes “no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him” (11:27). All of scripture is God-breathed and therefore a proper understanding of the scriptures can only come from God.

I believe that every person should be treated with a great respect of his/her beliefs. I have seen (in myself included) a condescending attitude created by a faith in creation science. Without a complete understanding of the scientific evidence, a person can be led to believe that they have all the right answers concerning creation and therefore look down on others who hold different beliefs. I now believe that the evidence can point both towards creation and towards evolution. The main difference between these two belief systems is the revelation of the Holy Spirit. Neither argument can be proven because neither can be disproven, except by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when presenting creation, I believe one should fully rely on God’s guidance and present the message in love and never with contempt. A belief system, no matter how different from my own, does not make another person to be of lesser intellect than myself, no matter how illogical this belief system may seem.
Ex: “[...] The little known Laws of Information Theory [...] completely destroy the materialistic concepts that are taught as fact in schools and in the media. [...] The only explanation for the incredible complexity of the biological information in living things is that the incredible God of the Bible created it that way!” -excerpted from a schedule of a “deconstructing Darwin” seminar (http://creation.com/sherbrooke-dd-conference).

I have always believed, however, that it is vital to study creation and to present the scientific evidence of creation to make people aware that Genesis can be taken literally. I personally do not want to have a blind faith by believing in something that has no scientific grounding. I also believe that it is important for Christians to realise that scientific evidence does support the truths of the Bible.

Having said this, I am still left with a few questions:
- Is the study of creation science a valid and good science?
- Is there any real value in ministries that promote creation science? Is the study of creation science a vital ministry?
- Should such ministries promote the fact that Genesis chapters 1 to 11 are vital to the Christian worldview? Are these chapters vital to a proper Christian worldview?
- Is my dream to study and teach creation a valid one?
- If so, how should I approach the study of creation? What should be my attitude both towards Creation science and the first 11 chapters of Genesis?
- Is there danger that teaching a limited amount of information about creation will cause a believer to feel contempt towards unbelievers? How should this issue be approached? How can the material be taught differently so as to create a healthy understanding of scriptures and science?
- What about the balance between faith and science? Is there any value in studying science at all?Some creation science ministries claim that the teaching of creation is the most basic and important element of a proper Christian worldview, is this accurate? What about other ministries (e.g. balloons and tower in CMI image of creation vs. evolution)?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Angela

    The first attempt at a comment got deleted. What I wrote was that we had Calvin Smith of Creation Ministries International staying with us Sunday night. Over breakfast he said that he is no longer interested in debating the creation/evolution issue strictly on the basis of science. What he does is quote the evolutionists' analysis of the theistic-evolutionist belief. Then the Christian who believes in evolution can decide for him/her self if the evolutionist's criticism is valid.

    We love to read your blog. There have been several attempts to post comments that have failed. Here goes again.

    Love you... Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Angela

    I am still having fun with this business of posting a comment. First attempt deleted.

    To the question you raise, "Are these chapters (Genesis 1 to 11) vital to a proper Christian worldview?", may I suggest an answer? From my understanding there is not a single major Christian doctrine that does not find its root in these chapters. For instance the doctrines of marriage, of the nature of God, of salvation, of the nature and origin of evil, of the person of Jesus (of the seed of the woman who would crush the head of the Serpent, and probably others I cannot think of. Of course there are doctrines that that do not require these chapters to lay a foundation. I would suggest that the doctrine of the church is one.

    On another topic, in my comment yesterday I neglected one very important word. It is the atheistic evolutionists who write so devastatingly about theistic evolution who are a must read for those of us who are interested in this issue. Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are the two that come to mind.

    By the way, I do believe that where one comes down on this issue of young earth creationism or evolution is a faith decision. It was for me. Take a look at Romans chapter 5, verses 17 to the end; is there a need for a second Adam if there was no actual first Adam?. That was the decisive question for me.

    Keep on wondering and praying and learning my friend.

    Love... Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela!!! Sent you a "letter" yesterday... look for it in, um, 4 weeks, ok? ;)

    Also, if you have time, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q&NR=1

    Hope you're having fun!

    Luv Emma

    ReplyDelete