- God has clothed me in a robe of righteousness. If I try to stitch my own robe (by obeying the law), it’s like a hospital gown. It looks perfect from where I can see, but when I turn around, it’s wide open.
- Trials show me where I am at and bring conviction. They don’t produce faith, they simply test whether my faith is genuine. Trials without faith lead to bitterness and resentment but trial with faith lead to spiritual maturity and dependence on God. I simply need to persevere (“remain upright”) under trials and allow Christ to be my sufficiency through them.
- “Faith without deeds is dead” does not mean that if I have to earn my salvation but rather James is giving us a way to test if our faith is genuine. If I have deeds (motivated by a love for Christ), it shows that I have a genuine faith (John 14:12a). Other ways James gives to test the authenticity of faith is the tongue (what we say reveals what is in my heart. It is impossible for man to tame the tongue, therefore a tame tongue proves that the Spirit is in a person) and wisdom (Christ is our wisdom). But I am not to concentrate on having wisdom or taming my tongue, but on having Christ. Christ gives me the power to have works, a tame tongue, and wisdom, but I have to use it.
- My responsibility is to exercise the spiritual gifts God has given me through the natural talents and abilities He has given me. I also need to not be ashamed of the people of God, of the name of Jesus (because He is what distinguishes our God from every other god), and the gospel of Christ (I need to be willing to ‘pull the trigger – present the gospel – whenever God gives me the opportunity).
- When self-thoughts or emotions come up, I need to immediately confess them to God, repent, and give them over to God. I then need to refill on God’s word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment