This week, most of the Capers have been coping with colds from which we have coined a new term: Post Ministry Week Syndrome. Peter Thomas (the son of Major Ian Thomas, the founder of the first Capernwray) taught us this week on 1 Peter and we had a DVD lecture by Charlie Mcaul on the Life of Solomon. God used both speakers to teach me heaps!
On Friday night, we had a Plegm Philm Phestival where we were split into four teams and given two hours to film and edit a movie. We were given a genre (foreign film, romantic comedy, thriller and sci-fi were the ones that got picked out of the hat), a prop (a laundry basket, a coffee press, a ‘caution wet floor’ sign, and a shovel), and a line that had to be used at some point in the movie. My team (Jordan, Hanna, Kelsey, and I) got foreign film, which was perfect since I speak French, Hanna speaks German and Jordan does a brilliant Asian accent. Since foreign films are often very difficult to follow, we had very little plot but instead incorporated lots of humour. When we cam together at the end to see each other’s films, I was blown away by the quality of the acting, the filming, the plots, and the editing. The thriller actually gave me shivers and the sci-fi one was really sweet. Amber made a beautiful trophy filled with a green cornstarch and water mixture for the winners (the thriller).
On Saturday I competed in the South Island Open, a tennis tournament organized by JB for the Capers. We were split into teams based on our experience and skill, so stronger tennis players were matched with beginners. I spent a few hours on the court this week practicing with JB (my teammate). And it paid off: we won the tournament! The tournament started at 9am and finished at 5pm. It was really fun! Amber made the trophy for the winners out of ice cream (so I couldn’t eat it since I have given up all deserts for lent).
PT (Peter Thomas) shared a story about a guy he knows in class this week that really challenged me so I thought I’d share it. This Christian guy had been praying that his colleagues at work would be saved for several years when one day, one of his colleagues came to the office super excited telling everyone that he had become a Christian. The guy who had been praying was overjoyed and went over to give his new brother in Christ a hug. He said to him “I’ve been praying for you and everyone here for years that you would be saved!” At this, the new believer said, shocked, “You’re a Christian?” The guys answered “Yes, couldn’t you tell by the way I acted?” To this he replied “You’re the reason it took me so long to become a Christian. I saw how good you were and I figured that if you could be that good without God, why would I need God?”
That really hit me and challenged me, not only to live my faith boldly, but to speak of my faith boldly. Romans 10:13-15 reads “for, ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’ How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment